Ten interesting facts about Russia:
- Russia hosts the worlds longest railway at 9,200 kilometres (5,700 in miles). It’s called the Trans-Siberian Railway runs almost the full length of the country. The line departs in Moscow (which is in European Russia), crosses into Asia and then makes its way to the Pacific Ocean port of Vladivostok to end it’s journey. A non-stop end-to-end journey would take you 152 hours and 27 minutes to finish!!!
- Russia holds the largest McDonalds in the world seating 700 people!
- Due to World War Two casualties even to this day there are approximately ten million more Russian women than men!
- Women will never get flowers from any man in Russia, it is considered a sign of bad luck and is associated with funerals.
- Russia is the largest world country by area. It’s total area is 17,075,400 square kilometers and covers more than ten percent of the Earth’s land area. The land area is 1.8 times larger than the entire size of North America.
- There are more billionaires living in Moscow than any other city in the world. There is a total 74 billionaires living in this popular city, the second most popular city is New York which has 71 billionaires.
- Russia is the 2nd largest annual oil producer in the world, Saudia Arabia is number 1, USA is number 3. Russia produces around 9,900,000 barrels of crude per day.
- Moscow’s amazing metro system is the fastest means of transport. During rush hour, trains are scheduled for every 90 seconds. It is estimated that over 9 million passengers ride the Metro every day. The Metro of St. Petersburg is also the deepest subway in the world, clocking in at a whopping 100m deep.
- If you’re over a doorway a Russian will never shake hands with you! They believe it’s a bad omen and the superstition most Russians hold is that doing so will cause an argument.
May there be no argument that England are the better team Saturday night.
Good luck England!